TNPSC Group 2 Syllabus: Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission (TNPSC) will conduct the Combined Civil Services Examination-II (CCSE-II) in the state, for recruitment to eligible candidates under State Civil Services in Tamil Nadu. TNPSC Group 2 2020 notification for various vacancies will be released in the month of May 2020 and the exam will be in the last week of June 2020 or in the first week of July 2020. The candidates appearing for TNPSC Group 2 exam 2020 should be aware of the examination pattern of the exam and syllabus. We are providing the details of the TNPSC Group 2 Exam Dates and Syllabus.
Tentative TNPSC Group 2 Recruitment 2020 – Important Dates
|Date of Notification||May 2020|
|The start date for submission of online application||May 2020|
|Last date for submission of online application||June 2020|
|Date of Preliminary Examination||July 2020|
|Date of Main Written Examination||September/October 2020|
TNPSC Group 2 Exam:
|Subject||Time Duration||Total Marks|
|Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)
(Degree Standard) (75 items)
Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (S.S.L.C. Std.) (25 items)
General Tamil / General English (S.S.L.C. Std.) (100 items)
(Total – 200 items)
- Minimum Qualifying Marks for All Communities is 90 Marks
- Two types of question papers will be set. One type of paper will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General English (100 items). The other will contain questions on General Studies (75 items), Aptitude and Mental Ability Test (25 items) and General Tamil (100 items). Candidates are given the option to choose either General Tamil or General English for answering the second 100 items apart from answering the first (75+25) 100 items on General Studies.
- The questions on General Studies will be set both in English and Tamil and the questions on General Tamil / General English will be set in the respective languages
Main Examination & Oral Test:
|Paper No||Duration||Maximum Marks|
|Main Written Examination
General Studies (Degree Standard) (Descriptive Type)
|Interview & Records||–||40|
The question paper will be set both in Tamil and English. The general subjects/topics from which the questions will be asked are:
- Role and impact of Science and Technology in the Development of India and Tamil Nadu.
- Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu.
- Socio Economic Problems of India and Tamil Nadu.
- Current issues at the National level.
- Current issues at the State level.
The applicants are allowed to answer the questions either fully in Tamil or fully in English. The Scheme of Examination and Syllabi for the Preliminary Examination and the Main Written Examination are available in the Commission’s Website at ‘www.tnpsc.gov.in’ and also at below.
TNPSC Group 2 Syllabus 2020:
Group – II (CSSE ‐I) Services
General Studies Preliminary Examination
Topics for Objective Type
The candidates appearing for TNPSC Group 2 exam 2020 should be aware of the examination pattern of the exam. The written exam will be a two-stage is written exam i.e., Preliminary Examination & Main Written Examination and finally oral test
Unit‐I General science :
Physics‐Universe‐General Scientific laws‐Scientific instruments‐Inventions and discoveries‐ National scientific laboratories‐Science glossary‐Mechanics and properties of matter‐Physical quantities, standards and units‐Force, motion and energy‐electricity and Magnetism ‐Heat, light and sound‐Atomic and nuclear physics.
Chemistry‐Elements and Compounds‐Acids, bases and salts‐Oxidation and reduction‐Chemistry of ores and metals‐Carbon, nitrogen and their compounds‐Fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides Botany‐‐Main Concepts of life science‐The cell‐basic unit of life‐Classification of living organism‐Nutrition and dietetics‐Respiration.
Botany‐‐Main Concepts of life science‐The The cell‐basic unit of life‐Classification of living organism‐Nutrition and dietetics‐Respiration.
Zoology‐Blood and blood circulation‐Endocrine system‐Reproductive system‐Genetics the science of heredity‐Environment, ecology, health and hygiene, Bio-diversity and its conservation‐Human diseases, prevention, and remedies‐Communicable diseases and non‐communicable diseases
Unit‐II. Current Events
History Latest diary of events – National‐National symbols‐Profile of States ‐Eminent persons & places in news‐Sports & games‐Books & authors ‐Awards & honours‐Latest historical events‐India and its neighbors ‐ Appointments‐who is who?
Political Science Problems in the conduct of public elections‐ Political parties and political system in India‐ Public awareness & General administration ‐ Role of Voluntary organizations & Govt.,‐ Welfare oriented govt. schemes, their utility.
Geography‐‐Geographical landmarks‐Policy on the environment and ecology.
Economics‐ Current socio‐economic problems New economic policy & govt. sector.
Science Latest inventions on science & technology Latest discoveries in Health Science Mass
media & communication.
Earth and Universe‐Solar system‐Atmosphere hydrosphere, lithosphere‐Monsoon, rainfall, weather and climate‐Water resources ‐rivers in India‐Soil, minerals & natural resources‐ Natural vegetation‐Forest & wildlife‐Agricultural pattern, livestock & fisheries‐ Social geography
– population‐density and distribution‐Natural calamities – disaster management‐
Unit-IV History and culture of India
South Indian history‐Culture and Heritage of Tamil people‐‐Advent of European invasion‐ Expansion and consolidation of British rule‐Effect of British rule on socio‐economic factors‐Social reforms and religious movements‐India since independence‐Characteristics of Indian culture‐Unity in diversity –race, color, language, custom‐India‐as secular state‐Organizations for fine arts, dance, drama, music‐Growth of rationalist, Dravidian movement in TN‐Political parties and populist schemes‐ Prominent personalities in the various spheres – Arts, Science, literature, and Philosophy – Mother Teresa, Swami Vivekananda, Pandit Ravishankar, M.S.Subbulakshmi, Rukmani Arundel and J.Krishnamoorthy, etc.
Unit‐V Indian Polity
Constitution of India‐ Preamble to the constitution‐ Salient features of constitution‐ Union, State, and territory ‐ Fundamental rights‐ Fundamental duties‐ Human rights charter‐ Union legislature – Parliament‐ State executive‐. State Legislature – assembly‐ Status of Jammu & Kashmir‐. Local government – panchayat raj – Tamil Nadu‐ Judiciary in India – Rule of law/Due process of law‐ Indian federalism – center – state relations‐ Emergency provisions‐ Elections ‐ Election Commission Union and State‐ Amendments to constitution‐ Schedules to constitution‐ Administrative reforms & tribunals‐ Corruption in public life‐ Anti‐corruption measures – Central Vigilance Commission, Lokadalats, Ombudsman, Comptroller and Auditor General of India‐ Right to information ‐ Central and State Commission‐ Empowerment of women.
Unit‐ VI Indian Economy:
Nature of Indian economy‐ Five‐year plan models‐an assessment‐Land reforms & agriculture‐Application of science in agriculture‐Industrial growth‐Role of public sector & disinvestment‐Development of infrastructure‐ National income Rural welfare oriented programs‐ Social sector problems – population, education, health, employment, poverty‐ HRD – sustainable economic growth‐ Economic trends in Tamil Nadu ‐ Energy Different sources and development‐Finance Commission ‐ Planning Commission‐ National Development Council
Unit‐VII. Indian National Movement
Early uprising against British rule‐1857 Revolt‐ Indian National Congress‐Emergence of national leaders‐Gandhi, Nehru, Tagore, Netaji‐Growth of militant movements ‐Communalism led to partition‐Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle ‐ Rajaji, VOC, Periyar, Bharathiar& Others‐Birth of political parties /political system in India since independence—
Unit-VII. Aptitude and & Mental Ability Tests
Conversion of information to data‐‐Collection, compilation and presentation of data Tables, graphs, diagrams‐Analytical interpretation of data ‐Simplification‐Percentage‐Highest Common Factor (HCF)‐Lowest Common Multiple (LCM)‐Ratio and Proportion‐Simple interest‐Compound interest‐Area‐Volume‐Time and Work Decision making and problem solving‐Logical Reasoning‐ Puzzles‐Dice‐Visual Reasoning‐Alpha numeric Reasoning‐Number Series‐ Logical Number/Alphabetical/Diagrammatic Sequences.
SYLLABUS – GENERAL ENGLISH
S.S.L.C. Standard (Objective Type)
Part A – Grammar
- Match the following words and Phrases given in Column A with their meanings in Column B.
- Choose the correct ‘Synonyms’ for the underlined word from the options given.
- Choose the correct ‘Antonyms’ for the underlined word from the options given
- Select the correct word (Prefix, Suffix)
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Article
- Fill in the blanks with suitable Preposition
- Select the correct Question Tag
- Select the correct Tense
- Select the correct Voice
- Fill in the blanks (Infinitive, Gerund, Participle)
- Identify the sentence pattern of the following sentence (Subject, Verb, Object….) Blanks with correct ‘Homophones’
- Find out the Error (Articles, Prepositions, Noun, Verb, Adjective, Adverb)
- Select the correct sentence
- Find out the odd words (Verb, Noun, Adjective, Adverb)
- Select the correct Plural forms
- Identify the sentence (Simple, Compound, Complex Sentences)
- Identify the correct Degree.
- Form a new word by blending the words.
- Form compound words (Eg: Noun+Verb, Gerund+Noun)
- Figures of speech observed in the following Poems.
- Appreciation Questions from Poetry
- .Important lines from Poems
- Questions on the Biography
- Questions on Shakespeare’s
- Questions from Oscar Wilde’s
- Karl Paulnack
- Comprehension Questions from the following Motivational Essays
- Comprehension Questions from the following description of Places
- British English – American English
Part-C: Authors and their Literary Works
- Match the Poems with the Poets
- Which Nationality does the story belong to?
- Identify the Author with the short story
- Whose Autobiography / Biography is this?
- Which Nationality does Poet belong to?
- Characters, Quotes, Important Lines from the following works of Indian Authors.
- Drama Famous lines, characters, quotes from
- Match the Places, Poet, Dramatist, Painter with a suitable option
- Match the following Folk Arts with the Indian State / Country
- Match the Author with the Relevant Title/Character
- Match the Characters with Relevant Story Title
- About the Poets
- About the Dramatists
- Mention the Poem in which these lines occur
- Various works of the following Authors
- What is the theme observed in the Literary works?
- Famous Quotes – Who said this?
- To Which period the Poets belong
- Matching the Poets and Poems
- Nature centered Literary works and Global issue Environment and Conservation
Group – II (CSSE ‐I) Services
Main Examination General Studies (Degree Standard) Descriptive Type
I. Role and impact of science and Technology in the Development of India and Tamil Nadu.
Nature of universe‐General scientific laws‐Scientific instruments‐Inventions and discoveries ‐ Science glossary‐Physical quantities, standards and units ‐Mechanics and properties of matter‐ Force, motion and energy‐Heat, light and sound‐Magnetism, ‐electricity and electronics ‐
Elements and ‐compounds ‐Acids, bases and salts‐Oxidation and reduction‐Carbon, nitrogen and their compounds‐Fertilizers ‐pesticides, insecticides ‐Main concepts of life science‐The cell ‐ basic unit of life‐Classification of living organism‐Nutrition ‐and dietetics‐Respiration ‐Blood and blood –circulation‐Endocrine system‐Reproductive system‐Animals, plants, and human life‐ Govt. policy ‐organizations on Science and Technology‐Role, achievement & impact of Science and ‐technology‐Energy ‐ self-sufficiency ‐ oil exploration‐ Genetics ‐ the science of heredity‐ Environment, ecology, health and ‐hygiene, Biodiversity and its conservation‐Human diseases, prevention, and remedies‐Communicable diseases and non ‐ communicable diseases‐Alcoholism and Drug abuse‐ Computer ‐science and advancement
II. Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu
State government organization ‐ structure, functions, and control mechanism‐District administration ‐ role in people’s welfare-oriented programmes‐Industrial map of Tamil Nadu ‐‐ role of state government‐Public Services ‐‐ role of recruitment agencies‐State finance ‐ resources, budget and financial administration‐Use of IT in administration ‐‐ e‐governance in the State‐Natural calamities – Disaster Management Union and State ‐Social welfare ‐ Government-sponsored schemes with reference to Tamil Nadu‐Relationship between State and Union‐Industrial map of India ‐Public Services ‐ role of recruitment agencies in Union Government‐ Social welfare ‐ government-sponsored schemes by Government of India
III. Socio-Economic Issues in India/Tamil Nadu
Population Explosion‐ Unemployment issues in India & Tamil Nadu‐ Child Labour‐Economic Issues (a) Poverty (b) Sanitation‐ Rural and Urban (c) Corruption in public life ‐ Anti ‐Corruption ‐measures ‐ CVC, Lokadalats, Ombudsman, CAG.‐Illiteracy‐Women Empowerment – Role of the Govt. in Women Empowerment ‐ Social injustice to womenfolk ‐ Domestic violence, dowry menace, sexual assault‐Impact of violence on the growth of the nation – Religious violence, ‐‐Terrorism, and Communal violence.‐ Human Rights issues‐Right to information ‐ Central and State Commission.‐ Education – Linkage between Education and Economic Growth‐Community Development Programme‐Employment Guarantee Scheme‐Self Employment and Entrepreneurship Development‐Role of N.G.O’s in Social Welfare – Govt. Policy on Health.
IV. Current issues at National Level
V. Current issues at State Level
Get Free Whatsapp Alerts
Save Below Mobile Phone Number 9035800941
Send your District name from Whatsapp to receive Govt job notifications.